The goal is to be able to get 100-200 Watts of power to charge my 12v battery bank in my camper when I am camping off the grid. I could use a generator but what fun is that?
Solar is an option however it is very expensive for even small panels.
The generator is a 90 Volt 1750rpm DC Motor I found laying around.
This is a flywheel off the same motor. I drilled holes to mount the blades.
The blades are made out of 6″ PVC pipe. I won’t go into detail yet but here is the site where I got the blade info from. http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/index.html This guy has a really nice site and I am following his plans fairly closely.
Here are some more pics. I have not tested it yet but the temperorary stand is built and the wind vane on the back is done. It’s all ready to go.
I used a 1″ pipe inside a 1-1/4″ pipe for the thrust bearing for now.
Aluminum tent pole for the tail support. I drilled the wood block so it would fit.
Plywood for the tail.
Update 01-13-09 New Video
First test video
I moved it out away from the trees and buildings. It performed much better
and I was able to get 15-20 volts from a 10mph wind. The blades were spinning
at about 200 rpm for 15v and about 250 rpm for 20 volts. I did not see the
voltage drop below 15v the whole evening. I even added some christmas lights.
Christmas lights powered by the wind
Powered by wind only. Now I need to get building the charge controller.
Update 03-30-09 Charge Controller
Display shows battery voltage and charging status
The 40 Amp diode requires a huge heat sink (just in case)
Terminal Connection. It will handle a 20amp Wind Turbine and a 6amp Solar Panel.
Inside the controller.
Here is the control circuit. Two op amps and two NOR Gates.
I got the circuit design from here. It works perfect and I added a voltage readout.
I used two single op amp chips since thats what I had laying around.
Bottom view. What a mess……
I used a cheap $10 LED readout off Ebay for the voltage screen. It arrived
already calibrated for the correct voltage. I had to supply 5v to power it so
I used a common 7805 regulator.
That’s it for now.